Re: Recording/Timing issues with Microcone snd-usb-audio device

Hello!

Am 12.12.2014 um 13:01 schrieb Clemens Ladisch:
Hermann, DI Christoph (ITBH) wrote:
Am 2014-11-25 um 12:32 schrieb Clemens Ladisch:
Hermann, DI Christoph (ITBH) wrote:
I have troubles with the Microcone device:
Recording 1 second of audio takes 2 seconds. The resulting WAV file has a duration of 1 second and is distorted.
Please show the output of "lsusb -v" for this device.
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 2212:0001
[...]
This looks OK.  Your test.wav file also looks OK for one second of
eight-channel data.  (I don't know what the signal should be.)
The recording took 2 seconds, the duration parameter of arecord was set to 1 second and the signal is me saying the word "test" 2 times a second. Since the recording is only 1s long but took 2s it is distorted and too fast.
According to your description, the device would send the data at
an actual sample rate of 24000 Hz.  There is no explanation why it
would do this (in theory, it doesn't even support changing its rate).
According to the manufacturer the microcone has the following characteristics:

  • Sample rate: 48 kHz
  • Sample resolution: 24-bits

arecord -D hw:1 states that the device only supports the format S32_LE. Maybe this is the problem because according to the manufacturer it has a sample resolution of 24 bits.

Is there a way to override settings which alsa reads from the device like the supported format?

Could this be a hardware problem?  Does this device still work with
Ubuntu 12.04, or in Windows?
The device still works with Ubuntu 12.04, Windows and Mac OS. On Windows and Mac OS it uses proprietary drivers from the manufacturer.
Ubuntu 12.04 is the only Linux version I found so far which could deal with the Microcone.

Regards,
Christoph