Distortion on some platforms, not others

Hi. I've got a BeagleBone Black running Debian 7/3.14.22-ti-r31. I use mpg123 to play an MP3 via ALSA, and while the content is output, it seems to be clipping. There are cracks and pops that seem to coincide with peaks in the audio.

This is going to a an Audio-Technica ATR2USB dongle.

If I use the same dongle on OS X to play the same file using mpg123, there is no distortion. Same with Ubuntu in Parallels on my Mac.

Any suggestions as to what I might adjust or check in my BBB's alsa config?

Thanks!

--
Rick Mann
rmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx