HDMI audio switches to stereo-only when video output is active

Hello all,

I've been trying to deal with this problem for a while now, and it has
me stumped.
Hopefully somebody here can help point me in the right direction.

First some background, which might be relevant:
I'm using the integrated audio on a MSI H55M-E33 motherboard to play
sound over HDMI. This goes to a surround-sound amplifier (a Sony
STR-DH520) and the video continues on to a projector.
This all worked beautifully until I made a change to my config:
unfortunately the amplifier modifies the EDID of the projector and
corrupts it, causing the wrong video mode to be set by KMS, breaking
all VTs. X corrects this later - but naturally I wanted use of my VTs
as well. To correct the issue, I used the kernel option to override
the EDID with one I hand-corrected to include the appropiate video
modes, leaving the audio information that the amplifier inserted
intact, naturally. This worked and my video modes are now working
perfectly.

However, the following started happening:
I can play 6 channel audio just fine using "speaker-test -D hdmi -c 6
-t w", _if_ my video output is off (ie: X on auto-standby). Naturally,
since HDMI isn't active, this doesn't actually produce any audio on
the amplifier, as expected. If I switch the video back on, I hear
everything in surround sound and everything works just fine, again as
expected.
Using the very same command with the video already active, throws an error:
"Channels count (6) not available for playbacks: Invalid argument"
Using 2 channels instead of 6, does work. It seems like ALSA refuses
to initiate 6 channel audio with the video active, but has no problem
using it as long as it was initiated with the video off.

Note: I'm not sure if this all is related to the EDID change or not.
It seems to have happened at around the same time, and I doubt that's
coincidence...

Any help would be much appreciated!
My apologies if this is the wrong mailing list - I thought this would
be the most appropriate location to ask for assistance, but please do
point me towards somewhere else if this is not the right place.

- Jaron