Re: Softvol plugin weird behavior with playback/capture streams

elboulangero wrote:
> I tried to name the softvol control with another name, like 'Master2'.
> In this case, the mixer is presented under the name Master2, but
> appears both in playback and capture. So my understanding is that:
> - control name can be anything
> - however, some names (like "Master Playback Volume") have a special
>   meaning.

It is the "Playback Volumne" suffix that has a special meaning.

> In the doc [1], I can read the following:
>
> "If the control already exists and it's a system control (i.e. no
> user-defined control), the plugin simply passes its slave without any
> changes."
>
> Does that mean that "Master Playback Volume" is a system control ?

"System control" just means that that control is implemented in
hardware.  The softvol plugin was designed to add a volume control only
to hardware that does not already implement it.

Regards,
Clemens