Re: Problem getting sound from USB card

On 04/28/2014 07:47 PM, A wrote:

On 04/28/2014 05:04 PM, chris hermansen wrote:
A & list;

On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM, A <publicface@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

I'm having trouble getting any sound from browsers - chrome & firefox
(hulu, youtube); and also VLC; if I try to use my USB device.  amarok
and jitsi work fine.

Everything works if I use the Intel soundcard.

Any ideas please?

Thank you in advance

A, the kernel you are using (3.2) did not work well for me through my C-Media USB device (a Schiit Bifrost).

Maybe you should try a live cd version, say Ubuntu 14.04, with a much newer kernel.

Thank you for your response.  14.04 is still in beta at this time as I understand it, and upgrading at this time is really not an option for me right now.  12.04 is LTS for 5 years, good until 2017 I think.

I hope someone else has a better solution?

I should also point out - as I mentioned from the start - that 2 out of 5 programs work just fine.  That does not sound like a kernel issue to me.  I'd call it a browser issue at best (considering that they don't seem to have a way to select a specific device), except for the fact that VLC does in fact allow me to specify which device yet still doesn't work.  And that's what's so puzzling.  If VLC worked, I'd chalk it up to the USB device not being the default, and then focus on how to make it the default device.