Re: Schiit USB audio dac

Rita, list;

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 10:33 AM, Rita <rmorgan466@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The behavior is when I use chrome I sporadically get the trigger. Very
> likely its the Flash or other system sounds which is causing it.

Ok.  I don't use Chrome (-ium) so I can't comment on that.

> My intended use is for a HiFi music system. I have flac files and I would
> like to use them with my DAC and Amp.
>
> Do you have to do anything with ~/.asoundrc? BTW, I am not running pulse.

I have never had to fuss with .asoundrc

> I will get Guayadeque a try. I was using VLC player and selected the sound
> card.

For me, Guayadeque is a great solution for my laptop + AQ DragonFly +
headphones.

With Guayadeque you select View > Preferences > Playback

There is an "output device" combo box.  You set it to Alsa and then
enter the name of your device.  For example with my DragonFly I use

plughw:CARD=DragonFly,DEV=0

Ideally you should use hw to avoid any transformations, but in my
(limited) experience cards tend to support some but not all relevant
bit depths and therefore plughw is often needed.

You can experiment with this best using aplay - get some sample files
from the 2L website for instance, convert them to wav, and then see if
you can play back both 16bit and 24bit wav files through hw.  If so,
great, you are on your way; if not, you need plughw.

Also, I may be wrong but I think the Modi does not support 176.4 nor
192 kHz files.  If you expect to play these, you may also have to use
plughw to force on-the-fly downsampling.  Anyway the thing to do is
try and of course please report your results back to the list so that
others can benefit from your experience!

I should also mention that a better solution for me for the desktop +
Bifrost + hi-fi is mpd plus various different clients, both on the
desktop machine itself and on my Android phone.  The ability to
control the music queue by remote is quite nice.  mpd, like
Guayadeque, can easily be configured to pass files through directly to
Alsa.  However, if you intend to control your music queue through your
desktop, Guayadeque's UI and features seem to me to be the best
available.  Its smart playlist is particularly good, at least with my
music collection; and it comes with a great list of internet "radio"
stations.

Finally, there seem to be some people out there working on a version
of mpd that will handle DSD files, so if you ever decide to buy a Loki
to go with your Modi...

--
Chris Hermansen · clhermansen "at" gmail "dot" com

C'est ma façon de parler.