Re: Problem with TEAC USB UD-H01 and ALSA

On 03/28/2014 07:33 PM, Julien Benoist wrote:
> I made the following observations:
> - whatever the kernel - with sox/aplay sending raw content to the ALSA
> device - 24/192 content is subject to very high jitter/cracks.
> - interestingly, I've noticed that xbmc (7a6cb7f) plays 24/192 content
> correctly if the kernel is <= 3.12. With more recent versions (tried
> 3.13 and mainline about 2 weeks ago), playing the content leads to the
> same jitter/cracks in xbmc.

If you're really certain about this, and if you can rule out all other
components than the kernel, please do a git bisect to find which commit
causes this regression. Depending on how long it takes you to tell
whether a kernel version is affected, this should not take too much
time. Some instruction can be found here for instance:

  http://www.landley.net/writing/git-bisect-howto.html

> - Now When xbmc plays 24/192 content correctly, all I know is that
> /proc/asound/card/*/stream* confirms that the steam is 24/192, but xbmc
> must be either doing something to the stream, or streaming it a little
> bit differently than sox/aplay.

Please make sure you use the "hw" plugin with aplay. By default, the
"plughw" plugin will kick in and do the format conversion on the fly.

Daniel