Re: Problem with TEAC USB UD-H01 and ALSA

On 03/28/2014 10:49 AM, Andrea M wrote:
> I bought an USB DAC from TEAC (device UD-H01 with chip TENOR 8802) and this,
> with its own drivers, works perfectly under Windows7 and OSX ( I tried both
> with 16 and 24 bit from 44.1 to 192Khz).
> On my netbook which has Linux Mint last version and driver ALSA last
> version, it works only at 16bit. While at 24bit, whatever is the frequency,
> the sound is distorted and with many "clicks".

I've been running into similar issues with a TEAC amp (AI501DA) which
embeds a USB DAC (PCM5102). Well, the word "issue" may be inappropriate
in my case, as I am using this device in an HTPC scenario, mostly
sending 16/44 content to it so I have not investigated any time tracking
that down, but I did witness the same phenomenon playing with 24/192(*)
content.

I made the following observations:
- whatever the kernel - with sox/aplay sending raw content to the ALSA
device - 24/192 content is subject to very high jitter/cracks.
- interestingly, I've noticed that xbmc (7a6cb7f) plays 24/192 content
correctly if the kernel is <= 3.12. With more recent versions (tried
3.13 and mainline about 2 weeks ago), playing the content leads to the
same jitter/cracks in xbmc.
- Now When xbmc plays 24/192 content correctly, all I know is that
/proc/asound/card/*/stream* confirms that the steam is 24/192, but xbmc
must be either doing something to the stream, or streaming it a little
bit differently than sox/aplay.
- Last but not least, and to make the issue more fun to investigate,
arch's stock xbmc (12.3-12), or version 13.0 (with pulseaudio totally
turned off) never play 24/192 content without jitter/cracks.
- options snd-usb-audio nrpacks=1 makes no difference

*: more precisely, anything with 24-bit depth and a frequency greater
than 48khz.

--
Julien Benoist