Re: snd_usb_audio crashes my audio

On Sun, 05 Jan 2014 18:08:40 +0000, Daniel Mack wrote:
> Dennis New <dennisn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >For the past many linux kernels,
>
> Can you spot the last kernel version that worked for you?
>
> >my usb bluetooth headset randomly
> >crashes -- the audio abruptly stops working, I cannot kill -9 the
> >mplayer process that was using it, and the only way to get it working
> >again is to reboot :|.
> >
> >The syslog only says:
> >  kernel: ALSA sound/usb/endpoint.c:501 timeout: still 3 active urbs
> > on
> >EP #3
>
> That's odd, and frankly is more a sign of a USB host controller issue
> that one with snd-usb-audio. Can you provide a full dmesg output? Do
> you have the same issue with that headset on a different machine?
>
> >It is very difficult to reproduce -- sometimes it can go for days
> >just fine, then in the middle of a song abruptly stop.
>
> Please try harder :-) Without a proper test case, it seems impossible
> to verify a potential fix. Quickly starting and stopping the stream
> might be a good start.
>
> Also, as stated above, please do test on a different machine. Ruling
> out the host controller would be a crucial step.

I captured a bit of debugging info from my syslog after my most recent
usb-audio crash. I wasn't even near my computer at the time it occurred
(in a different room via bluetooth for many minutes). The bluetooth
connection simply broke (that is, probably something with my usb
subsystem broke), and I wasn't able to recover from the bug. I was
forced to reboot.

http://dennisn.dyndns.org/guest/pubstuff/debug-usbaudio/crash1.log