Re: trouble getting webcam microphone to work

On Mon, 1 Apr 2013 18:13:24 -0400
Michael Griffin <gondarlinux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> System: HP Pavilion dv7 laptop
> OS: Fedora 18
> Audio cards:
> [root@localhost asound]# lspci
> 00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
> BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
> 00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] FCH Azalia
> Controller (rev 01)
>
> [root@localhost asound]# aplay -l
> card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: Generic_1 [HD-Audio Generic], device 0: STAC92xx Analog
> [STAC92xx Analog]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Try with 'aplay -L' and the output should show you which one of the two
is the default. also 'leafpad /var/lib/alsa/asound.state' can show you
what is being used by what in your alsa sound setup at that time.
Leafpad is a text editor, use whichever you're familiar with.

I'm in a similar situation as you regarding soundcards and also with
HDMI support. This is my .asoundrc file;-
pcm.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}

ctl.!default {
	type hw
	card 1
}

pcm.primary {
	type hw
	card 1
	device 0
}
Although these are for sound cards, they might be useful for you?

> While attempting to use Google hangouts I am unable to utilize my
> microphone on the built-in webcam.

Are you a member of your local LUG? [Linux User Group]. If so you could
take the webcam along to one of their meetings and get their advice and
support re getting the mic working with it.

> I have done some reading and have determined that the problem is that
> Google Talk is using the the "wrong" microphone and is thus
> indicating that my microphone is muted.  From my searching, I have
> deduced that I need to set up an /etc/modprobe.d/alsa.conf file and
> try to swap the order of the cards as they enumerate.  Both cards are
> using the snd_hda_intel driver.
>
> I have read http://alsa.opensrc.org/TwoCardsAsOne but it appeared to
> be talking about a different problem.
>
> I have also read http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards but I cannot
> figure out how to get enough information from my system to plug
> appropriate parameters into alsa.conf.  (Specifically, the vid/pid
> for multiple cards using the same driver)

Have you checked out the support pages for your webcam supplier? You
may find someone else using linux with that webcam, and see what their
solution was?

> Being a noob to alsa, what information can I submit to this list that
> will help in trying to configure these cards "correctly"?

I leave that for wiser minds :)

Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian Wheezy, MATE 1.5.8, LibreOffice 4.0.1