Re: No soundcards found - but only kernel 3.x

Le Wed, 23 Jan 2013 15:39:45 +0000 (UTC),
User <pktksw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :

> > It's a matter of device number assignment.  You can achieve it
> > easily even without udev manually or automatically by some script.
> >
> > For example, in the new case, minor#5 corresponds to
> > /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p:
> > 	5: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
> >
> > then you need to create a device file like
> > 	mknod /dev/snd/pcmC0D2p c 116 5
> >
> > Write a script to call for each line of /proc/asound/devices and
> > call it in an init script after loading the sound modules.
> > Takashi
>
> Thanks a lot Takashi, I will do that to avoid using udev
> solely to this. But one question remains:
>
> - If they are dyn. assgn. can I count that they will de facto
> be the same next boot (remember that in this particular case
> I have my own rc.x carefully crafted to load my mods.)

The basic syntax is the same than in /etc/modprobe.d/*, or whatever
you are using. Its all about loading modules with the wanted
parameters.

The options for the sound modules are explained in the kernel
documentation, which is part of the kernel sources (or in the
alsa-drivers doc). In ALSA-configuration.txt. It is some other files
as well.

I recommend you to only use modules for the snd* modules (inclusive
snd). That way, you can use /etc/init.d/alsasound, which is an udec
wrapper, or custom scripts. When like you, you are not using udev, you
must make some script to load the modules. In both cases, you can use
all the options described in the doc. With multiple sound cards, the
most important is index=n, where n is the card number beginning with 0
for the first card. Pay also attention to the cards_limit=m option for
snd, where m is the total number of sound cards beginning with 1 for the
first card.

When using custom script, I am not sure if loading snd as first is a
good idea, because it can, and maybe will, assign the slots for the
cards before the modules for the cards get loaded, which can result
into the index=n options getting ignored and random card order. It is
what append if snd is into the kernel, no sound related boot parameters,
and the other modules as modules.

With modules into the kernel, you can also do it, but you have to pass
all the modules options as boot parameters with grub or lilo. I never
experimented it.

Ciao,
Dominique

> e.g. can i be shure they will repeat next boot?
> OR.. i assume *NOT* and traverse the new schema to assign ?
>
> TX

"We have the heroes we deserve."