Re: No soundcards found - but only kernel 3.x

On 22/01/13 16:15, User wrote:
>> You should look in /proc/asound instead: aplay requires quite a lot of
>> > things to be working, /proc/asound will exist even when only ALSA is
>> > present.
> Please don't get me wrong here.
> I AM **NOT** using the DEPRECATED OSS drivers. (period)
>
> I AM USING THE ALSA OSS LAYER - ONLY ALSA.
> and they all load and run properly. just fine.
> Sequencer, clock, etc...

Please don't shout at me.

I'm suggesting that instead of aplay -l that you look in /proc/asound
instead: aplay requires a lot of things to be working before it reports
anything at all.   /proc/asound will be there even if nothing works and
will certainly include useful information even when aplay doesn't do
anything useful.

> As today seems that a lot of folks are biased towards the UDEV thing....
> I tried...

It's not bias, it's a question of using what is known to work.   Note
that among other things, udev handles the cases where the major and
minor numbers for a device aren't fixed.   You may or may not be falling
foul of this.

jch