Re: Kernel 3.x and smp_lock.h

Le Wed, 11 Jan 2012 20:17:51 -0700,
Frank Mackenzie <frank.mackenzie@xxxxxxx> a écrit :

> Thanks for the reply.

Please, don't mail me privately if I don't ask for. Next time, I
will just ignore you. And no, I don't use Thunderbird, so I don't know
how to configure it in order to avoid that, check the preferences.

> Is that a separate step, then, from the usual make menuconfig, make
> bzImage, make modules_install?
>
> How do I do that? :)

During make menuconfig, go to Device Drivers -> [M] Sound Cars Support
-> <M> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture and select the appropriated
drivers. Select everything you need as module.

It is an example here for gentoo, but it can be helpful for other
distributions as well: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/alsa-guide.xml

Into the kernel sources, the ALSA doc is in Documentation/sound/alsa

Of course, the alsa-driver package must not be installed for this
kernel.

> On 12-01-11 12:37 PM, Dominique Michel wrote:
> > Le Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:52:59 -0700,
> > Frank Mackenzie<frank.mackenzie@xxxxxxx>  a écrit :
> >
> >> Hey everybody!
> >>
> >> I use Lucid Puppy 520 on my home computer, and have recently
> >> installed kernel  jernel.. However, this appears to have broken
> >> ALSA, which says I have no devices.
> >>
> >> So I downloaded the source and attempted to compile it, which I
> >> have done many times with no issues in Ubuntu.
> >>
> >> It keeps giving me errors about smp_lock.h, which no longer comes
> >> with the Linux kernel. Some websites said to just delete that line,
> >> so, using grep, I deleted the line #include smp_lock.h from all of
> >> the alsa-drivers files. This however caused some other problems, so
> >> it still won't compile.
> >>
> >> I noticed the file in the folder saying this package was only for
> >> 2.6 kernels and below.
> >>
> >> Is there a tarball I can download that will compile against a 3.x
> >> kernel?
> > Another solution would be to configure, compile and install the alsa
> > driver that come with the 3.0.7-rt kernel instead of the alsa-driver
> > package.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Dominique Michel
> >
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Frank Mackenzie

> >> Ridiculously easy VDI. With Citrix VDI-in-a-Box, you don't need a
> >> complex infrastructure or vast IT resources to deliver seamless,
> >> secure access to virtual desktops. With this all-in-one solution,
> >> easily deploy virtual desktops for less than the cost of PCs and
> >> save 60% on VDI infrastructure costs. Try it free!
> >> http://p.sf.net/sfu/Citrix-VDIinabox

"We have the heroes we deserve."