Simultaneous playback problem on 3 USB cards

Hello!

I've been struggling with using 3 USB cards ("C-Media USB Audio Device") for a while now.

Using Ubuntu 11.10 (kernel 3.0.0-14) and no additional .asoundrc or /etc/asound.conf configuration I am able to play a wav on any of the attached sound cards. What I use is a simple "aplay -D plughw:X" where X is changed respectively: 1, 2 or 3 (hw0 is my internal sound card).

The problem is that I am not able to play 3 simultaneous files on these 3 sounds cards. aplay with the first 2 cards succeeds but when I start playback on the third one I get:

szalik@szalik:~/Desktop$ aplay -D plughw:3 fast_food_joint_1.wav
Playing WAVE 'fast_food_joint_1.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Mono
aplay: set_params:1123: Unable to install hw params:
ACCESS:  RW_INTERLEAVED
FORMAT:  S16_LE
SUBFORMAT:  STD
SAMPLE_BITS: 16
FRAME_BITS: 16
CHANNELS: 1
RATE: 22050
PERIOD_TIME: (125011 125012)
PERIOD_SIZE: (2756 2757)
PERIOD_BYTES: (5512 5514)
PERIODS: (3 5)
BUFFER_TIME: 500000
BUFFER_SIZE: 11025
BUFFER_BYTES: 22050
TICK_TIME: 0

Can anyone point to me where does this limitation come from? Is it something in snd-usb-audio module?

--
Piotr Domagalski
Mobile Systems Research Labs, Poznan University of Technology
null
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, AD198x Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, AD198x Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, AD198x Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, AD198x Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=1
    HDA Intel, AD198x Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=Device
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
front:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=Device_1
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
front:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Device_1,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
default:CARD=Device_2
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
front:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Device_2,DEV=0
    C-Media USB Audio Device, USB Audio
    Hardware device with all software conversions
 0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                      HDA Intel at 0xf7ff8000 irq 73
 1 [Device         ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Audio Device
                      C-Media USB Audio Device at usb-0000:00:1a.7-2.1, full speed
 2 [Device_1       ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Audio Device
                      C-Media USB Audio Device at usb-0000:00:1a.7-2.5, full speed
 3 [Device_2       ]: USB-Audio - C-Media USB Audio Device
                      C-Media USB Audio Device at usb-0000:00:1a.7-2.7, full speed