Re: MIDI Start/Stop and controller messages

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 3:09 PM, Don Garb <dongarb@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi, I am new to Rosegarden so please excuse me if my questions are
basic. I have an old Korg N5 synth connected through an Emu XMIDI 1X1
Tab into RG. There is a button on my Korg that is meant to turn an
external looping sequencer on and off and it's called MIDI START/STOP. I
can see the message sent from this button using QMidiRoute, it shows as
MIDI Start (Transport) and MIDI Stop (Transport). But when I'm using
Rosegarden, the RG Transport dialog does not show these events. It shows
all the others but not those even though I can see them in QMidiRoute.
How can I route that button into RG to turn it on and off as a looping
rythmm sequencer?

Hi Dan,

I can't be sure without testing your setup, but I would guess that "MIDI Start (Transport)" message refers to the MMC command "Play" as referenced here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIDI_Machine_Control

I don't know if / how Rosegarden supports MMC messages, but there's a program called QJackMMC that can listen to MMC messages and drive JACK applications, such as Rosegarden. Full disclosure: I am the primary writer / maintainer of QJackMMC.

The project is here: http://jackctlmmc.sourceforge.net/

Also, when I go to manage Synth Plugins, RG knows that I have Hexter
installed and I can select it, but it's not aware of my other soft
synths like Horgand, Bristol, mx44, Qsynth, and ZynAddSubfx. How do I
let RG know that I have those installed?

And lastly, I can define the rotary controls on my Korg using the Midi
Playback Controllers dialog, but how do I route those values into my
soft synth plugins? Thank you very much for your help!

If your rotary controls are anything like the rotary controller on my Boss BR-900, then they'll send MMC locate commands which are also handled by QJackMMC.

Hope that's what your looking for!

Regards,
-- Alex