Re: Newbie query about interfaces

Le Sun, 01 May 2011 09:09:05 +0100,
Graham Dicker <graham.dicker@xxxxxxxxxxx> a Ãcrit :

> Dominique Michel wrote:
>
> > Le Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:28:47 +0100,
> > Graham Dicker <graham.dicker@xxxxxxxxxxx> a Ãcrit :
> >
> >> I have been recording for many years with a Yamaha digital 4 track
> >> recorder. I would now like to switch to using my Suse Linux
> >> minitower using Ardour. I am not sure though what kind of audio
> >> interface I need to buy. Ideally I would like to have similar
> >> capability to what I am used to with my 4 track i.e. up to four
> >> instruments being recorded simultaneously, each on to it's own
> >> track. I understand that an interface like the Yamaha Audiogram 6
> >> will work but it's not clear that I will be able to route each
> >> instrument on to it's own track. Is that what it does? Or do I
> >> need something else?
> >
> > If the audiogram 6 is recognized by alsa, it will work. Beside
> > ardour, you will need jack-audio-connection-kit (jack) and some
> > alsa mixer like the alsamixer. jack have several GUI like qjackctl.
> > with it, you can route the audio channels as you want to.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Dominique
> >
> Thank you for responding. I already have all the software working
> using the motherboard audio interface and have been using it to
> record stuff for a few months. But I can only do two mono tracks or
> one stereo track at a time - a painfully slow process. I have looked
> around for an interface with more inputs and find they vary from
> around Â80 to Â3000 or more. The Audiogram 6 is within my budget, I
> don't want to spend more than that. The descriptions on the vendor
> websites for this and similar units in this price bracket don't
> mention simultaneous recording on multiple tracks and as far as I can
> tell they are just a kind of mixer, and can only record one track at
> a time (on any OS). Is that true? If so, what kind of interface do I
> need?

If you take a look at the alsa websiste:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Vendor-Yamaha
the audiogram 6 is not on the list of the supported yamaha cards.

Now, as it is an sb card, it can maybe work with the snd-usb-audio
module:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-usb-audio
It is a generic usb audio module. But the only way to know for sure if
this card will work with it is to buy it and try.

On the other hand, usb1 don't have a large bandwidtch and if it is such
a card, it is sure than it will not be possible to use 4 channel at
a decent sampling rate simultaneously.

At your place, I would buy a firewire or pci card. In order to know is
the card will work, take a look at the alsa card matrix.

USB have several limitations, and I am in the way to eliminate most of
my usb stuffs, at the exception of slow devices like keyboards or
mouses. Even for a harddisk, firewire will be much better, not only
because you will get a better bandwitch, but also because the advanced
features of the hdd will be recognized. And this will make a huge
difference on the long run. I crashed 3 usb hdd in one year. It was
possible to remove one from its case and to use it as internal drive on
a pci bus, but the 2 other was just completely dead.

Dominique

> Thank you
>
> Graham Dicker

"We have the heroes we deserve."