Re: Newbie query about interfaces

Dominique Michel wrote:

> Le Fri, 29 Apr 2011 16:28:47 +0100,
> Graham Dicker <graham.dicker@xxxxxxxxxxx> a Ãcrit :
>
>> I have been recording for many years with a Yamaha digital 4 track
>> recorder. I would now like to switch to using my Suse Linux minitower
>> using Ardour. I am not sure though what kind of audio interface I
>> need to buy. Ideally I would like to have similar capability to what
>> I am used to with my 4 track i.e. up to four instruments being
>> recorded simultaneously, each on to it's own track. I understand that
>> an interface like the Yamaha Audiogram 6 will work but it's not clear
>> that I will be able to route each instrument on to it's own track. Is
>> that what it does? Or do I need something else?
>
> If the audiogram 6 is recognized by alsa, it will work. Beside ardour,
> you will need jack-audio-connection-kit (jack) and some alsa mixer like
> the alsamixer. jack have several GUI like qjackctl. with it, you can
> route the audio channels as you want to.
>
> Ciao,
> Dominique

Thank you for responding. I already have all the software working using the
motherboard audio interface and have been using it to record stuff for a few
months. But I can only do two mono tracks or one stereo track at a time - a
painfully slow process. I have looked around for an interface with more
inputs and find they vary from around Â80 to Â3000 or more. The Audiogram 6
is within my budget, I don't want to spend more than that. The descriptions
on the vendor websites for this and similar units in this price bracket
don't mention simultaneous recording on multiple tracks and as far as I can
tell they are just a kind of mixer, and can only record one track at a time
(on any OS). Is that true? If so, what kind of interface do I need?

Thank you

Graham Dicker