Sound, problems after Squeeze "upgrade" (NO sound, echo mia sound card)

> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer
> little-endian
>
> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
>
> ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer
> little-endian
>
> ALSA: use 2 periods for playback
>
> ALSA: cannot set hardware parameters for playback
>
> ALSA: cannot configure playback channel
>
> cannot load driver module alsa

I use Debian Squeeze. I have been using Jack & various audio programs
for a while now. Monday (Feb. 2, 2011) Squeeze did a massive "upgrade"
(I try to do upgrades regularly), the short of is, the sad all too
redundant cry; no audio... Rosegarden crashes, Real Audio (Helix 11)
crashes (except when I configure it to OSS in its' preferences panel,
but still no sound), Jack will not start up (qjackctl), Ardour can not
open (start) Jack, & probably other problems I have not yet
encountered... As indicated above (& a more complete qjackctl output
below), ALSA cannot load driver module alsa (my card is an Echo Mia, it
is recognized in the various configuration panels, etc.).

I really do not have a clue (where to look, or what to do), alsa may or
may not be the problem, but since it (qjactctl) says it will not load,
perhaps this might be some clue (?).

Thanks much for any suggestions, directions, help, etc., in advance.

Henry

P.s., I have discovered that I can open ZynAddSubFX, jack will start up,
still no sound, but midi function will work as illustrated graphically
by ZynAddSubFX, & Rosegarden will function with midi record & playback.

P.p.s., I did a post on the Debian Squeeze Multimedia forum several days
after this occurred, apparently no one wants to touch it... not that I
really blame anyone... with the (unavoidable on my part) dearth of
information in this regard. & I also did check out & try most seeming
relevant checks (& possible solutions) on this forums' "trouble shooting
ALSA" page: http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=53708  Willing
to try any further suggestions... here or otherwise.

jackd 0.118.0

Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
and others.

jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY

Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably
alter the line:

@audio - memlock unlimited

in your /etc/limits.conf to read:

@audio - memlock 1141431

10:40:35.813 JACK was started with PID=2302.

no message buffer overruns

apparent rate = 44100

creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit

control device hw:0

configuring for 44100Hz, period = 1024 frames (23.2 ms), buffer = 2 periods

ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for capture

ALSA: final selected sample format for playback: 32bit integer little-endian

ALSA: use 2 periods for playback

ALSA: cannot set hardware parameters for playback

ALSA: cannot configure playback channel

cannot load driver module alsa

10:40:36.262 JACK was stopped successfully.

10:40:36.264 Post-shutdown script...

10:40:36.265 killall jackd

jackd: no process found

10:40:36.688 Post-shutdown script terminated with exit status=256.

10:40:37.990 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.

10:40:44.536 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.

10:40:57.552 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall