Re: No sound, no /proc/asound/

On Fri, 11 Feb 2011, James Shatto wrote:

> Note that * is a wildcard.  So /dev/dsp* is any devices that start
> with /dev/dsp.
>
> It looks like you don't have the modules loaded.

/dev/dsp and /dev/audio are the oss sound drivers, not alsa. alsa has an oss
emulation module, which will create those but they are NOT needed for using
alsa. What you have under alsa is a buch of entry points under /dev/snd

Now if your program uses the oss sound system, then you must load the alsa-oss
emulators as well (snd_seq_oss, snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss)
This will generate the various /dev/dsp entry points.

> # modprobe snd-hda-intel
> $ sudo modprobe snd-hda-intel
>
> (depending on your distro / $ is user / # is root)
>
> It might be /etc/init.d/alsasound or other named thing depending on
> your version and distro.  It might not even be in /etc/init.d/
> depending on your distro.  It looks like you have pulse audio running,
> so you might try the pavucontrol application.  Should be accessible
> through the speaker icon in the taskbar in ubuntu.  Or just run it
> from a terminal.
>
> $ sudo pavucontrol
>
> You appear to be installed and with permissions, but if you don't have
> /dev/dsp and friends, then you don't have alsa running.  Probably

Totally false. /dev/dsp is NOT part of alsa.

> didn't load up the modules at boot.  Not completely uncommon on a new
> install.  Someplace to start looking anyway.
>
> $ lsmod | grep -i "snd"

That is a good starting point.

> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
>
> - James
>

> On 2/11/11, Torsten Schenk <torsten.schenk@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I also use ubuntu (10.04) and it came to happen that the system didn't load
>> the modules automatically any more. I don't know why that happened or where
>> this loading is prohibited. Just try to load the module manually and see if
>> that works. If so, you could also post this on a ubuntu mailing list.
>>
>>   $ sudo modprobe [module]
>>
>> You need to replace "[module]" with the module that fits your card,
>> eventually "snd-hda-intel" or "snd-usb-audio", these are very common cards.
>>
>> Greets, Torsten
>>
>> ---- On Fri, 11 Feb 2011 20:54:49 +0100 Marcin Szyniszewski  wrote ----

>>> I used it as both. Nothing works :/

>>> Everything worked before. I tried to make my mic work and sound
>>> stopped to work. Now nothing works :P

>>> $ lsmod | grep snd
>>> snd_page_alloc 7120 0
>>>
>>> But I don't know what that means :P

>>> Ok, and what modules should I check?

>>> Stopping pulse and reinstalling ALSA didn't work. :(

>>> I think I have the latest version.

>>> Thanks for help :)

>>> /dev/audio* doesn't exist, as well as /dev/dsp*
>>> Should I do something about that??

>>> bash: /etc/init.d/alsa-utils: No such file or directory

>>> Rather than invoking init scripts through /etc/init.d, use the service(8)
>>> utility, e.g. service udev restart
>>> Since the script you are attempting to invoke has been converted to an
>>> Upstart job, you may also use the restart(8) utility, e.g. restart udev
>>> restart: Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call",
>>> sender=":1.45" (uid=1000 pid=9806 comm="restart)
>>> interface="com.ubuntu.Upstart0_6.Job" member="Restart" error
>>> name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="com.ubuntu.Upstart"