accessing the headphone/mic plug state

I have a problem with my laptop in which the main speakers are never
used regardless of the state of the headphone plug.

Now, it turns out that plugging any 3.5mm plug into the adjacent
microphone socket and wiggling it a little can persuade the speakers to
jump into life. I suspect that I have an intermittent hardware problem,
but since I first noticed the problem around a OS upgrade (I rarely use
the speakers) I would like to rule out a software problem before I start
brandishing my soldering iron on my otherwise functional laptop.

Is there any way I can access the realtime plug state of the headphone
and microphone sockets? It doesn't appear obvious in the /sys or /proc
trees.

My hardware is an Intel HDA card in a Dell Inspiron 9400.

Thanks,

Henry