Re: accessing the headphone/mic plug state

On Monday 08 November 2010 14:01:05 Henry Gomersall wrote:

> I have a problem with my laptop in which the main speakers are never

> used regardless of the state of the headphone plug.

> Now, it turns out that plugging any 3.5mm plug into the adjacent

> microphone socket and wiggling it a little can persuade the speakers to

> jump into life. I suspect that I have an intermittent hardware problem,

> but since I first noticed the problem around a OS upgrade (I rarely use

> the speakers) I would like to rule out a software problem before I start

> brandishing my soldering iron on my otherwise functional laptop.

> Is there any way I can access the realtime plug state of the headphone

> and microphone sockets? It doesn't appear obvious in the /sys or /proc

> trees.

> My hardware is an Intel HDA card in a Dell Inspiron 9400.

I had the same problem with dell v13 laptop. Read documentation in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/alsa/hda/models or somth alike

and pass option model=whatyoufind in documentation. In my case the chip is Realtek ALC269 and aviable models is:

ALC269

======

basic      Basic preset

quanta   Quanta FL1

eeepc-p703   ASUS Eeepc P703 P900A

eeepc-p901   ASUS Eeepc P901 S101

fujitsu   FSC Amilo

lifebook   Fujitsu Lifebook S6420

auto      auto-config reading BIOS (default)