Re: Basic S/PDIF Recording

James Le Cuirot wrote:

> "Since compressed data is transmitted in place of PCM data, the bitrate
> of the compressed stream must exactly match uncompressed stereo 16-bit
> PCM bitrate. As a rule, compressed stream (even a multi-channel one)
> having a lower bitrate, compressed stream must be padded with zeros to
> match PCM bitrate."

It might be helpful to ignore compressed (AC-3 or DTS) bitstreams and
focus simply on a linear PCM bitstream. S/PDIF has no predefined
bitrate and will transmit a 16/48 PCM bitstream at a different bitrate
than a 24/96 PCM bitstream.

As far as bringing AC-3 and DTS bitsteams back into the equation,
exactly how that data is transmitted might be up to some padding
rules. I don't know. I just assume that if I record the entire
bitstream to storage I can then run a basic stream decoder over the
stored data and recover my audio without issue. (That's my assumption,
anyway ... learning now how to determine if those assumptions are
valid or not.)

First thing I need to do is figure out which of the
access/format/channels/rate/period/buffer settings I need to mess with
once I open an S/PDIF device. Then, figure out how to read the raw
S/PDIF data accurately and record it to storage. Once in storage I can
deconstruct the S/PDIF stream using tools you've mentioned before in
this thread.

Tons of fun learning, but it sure is a steep curve.

Paul Braman