Re: Basic S/PDIF Recording

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 09:50:19 -0400
Paul Braman <bramankp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'll assume I want to read in blocks of 1536 bytes-at-a-time as long
> as ALSA is properly synchronizing to the S/PDIF frame and giving me
> aligned blocks. Is this an assumption I can make?

Probably not. I recently thought I would be clever and decode my
external AC3 source in software without buying an expensive home
theatre system but I found out the hard way that this generally isn't
possible. You can get away with a little jitter when dealing with PCM
but AC3 just can't tolerate it cleanly enough. You end up with short
bursts of noise every couple of seconds. If you want to try it for
yourself, it's as simple as...

arecord -Dspdif -f dat -t raw | spdifextract | ac3dec -6

spdifextract is a small program you can get from here...
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4472816.html#4472816

I spoke to the original author of the code and he never managed to work
around this problem either. Simply adjusting the buffer or period size
doesn't help because the data has already been lost by this point.

Apparently a PLL is needed to synchronise the clock frequency but I
haven't been able to determine whether any sound cards out there have
these at all. I've heard of some Creative cards having on-board AC3
decoders but I think this may have simply been for DVDs being played on
the machine itself, not for external sources.

James