Re: Basic S/PDIF Recording

On Mon, 25 Oct 2010 10:45:10 -0400
Paul Braman <bramankp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Interesting, but I see a couple of idiological problems with this
> approach.
>
> "dat" implies reading 32-bit frames at a rate of 48KHz. That's all
> fine and good but an S/PDIF bitstream is going to be pumping data
> faster than that rate. Assuming the embedded audio is 48KHz, 16-bit,
> stereo then each frame of raw 32-bit PCM is encoded within a 64-bit
> S/PDIF frame. It's as if "arecord" is told to set up to read at only
> half the speed it needs to be reading. I'd suspect xrun conditions to
> cause the noise.

I'm certainly no expert but I don't think it works quite like that.
Taken from http://ac3filter.net/guides/ac3filter_spdif...

"Since compressed data is transmitted in place of PCM data, the bitrate
of the compressed stream must exactly match uncompressed stereo 16-bit
PCM bitrate. As a rule, compressed stream (even a multi-channel one)
having a lower bitrate, compressed stream must be padded with zeros to
match PCM bitrate."

It goes on to say that DTS can be converted to use 14 bits instead of
16 to lessen the harsh noise you get when compressed data is mistaken
for PCM.

When you try to record from S/PDIF with arecord, it only allows S16_LE
and S32_LE and I'm pretty sure I tried both.

James