Re: line-in monitor on ice1724 (aureon 71 / envy24ht)

On 13 October 2010 11:18, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The background to this is that I'd like to be able to monitor the
> line-in input to my soundcard while using playback as normal:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-October/384622.html
> The soundcard is an Aureon 7.1 space:
> 02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
> [Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)
>
> This is an up to date Fedora 13 system, I'm not on it right now, but
> packages installed will be:
> alsa-lib-1.0.23-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
> alsa-utils-1.0.23-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm
> kernel-2.6.34.7-56.fc13.x86_64.rpm
>
> Using alsa-mixer I can change the inputs to the 8 hardware mixer
> channels (only the first two of which I'm using as a stereo setup in
> this case). However that simply routes the select input to output
> without mixing, i.e. I can listen to line-in on either or both
> channels, at the cost of not having PCM output on that channel. What I
> want is to monitor the line-in while listening to PCM (from Pulseaudio
> as it is, but just any alsa source). After playing around with the
> mixer for a while I discovered the playback labelled AC97 appears to
> control this, but it's unusual in that it only outputs to the left
> channel (the input is a guitar amp, so it's mono, but I'd assumed
> plugging a mono amp jack in would give the same sound to both
> channels), also it seems to ignore the selected capture source (MIC,
> Line-in, Aux and IEC958 are available and only one can be selected for
> recording at a time), I haven't tried plugging something into the
> microphone input to see if this also gets passed through, but will
> when I get the chance. Is there anything else I can try here?

My mistake, the mono input was 1/4inch TS into a 3.5mm TRS adapter,
therefore only drive one channel. However this leaves a couple of
questions and one new observation.
First the new observation: AC97 fader controls are reversed L-R
compared to the others, turning down left actually turns down the
right channel and vice-versa. All the other stereo controls are the
correct way around.
My other questions are, is the AC97 mixer control labelled correctly?
I've never quite figured out what this mixer actually means. Also,
when trying the hardware mixer channels I could definitely feed HWin 1
into HW1 and HWin 2 into HW2 and get something from both sides, which
is why I thought the stereo input was fine. How does that square with
the mono output I was getting from AC97? None of this is at all
critical, but a bit puzzling.

--
imalone