line-in monitor on ice1724 (aureon 71 / envy24ht)

Hi,

The background to this is that I'd like to be able to monitor the
line-in input to my soundcard while using playback as normal:
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/users/2010-October/384622.html
The soundcard is an Aureon 7.1 space:
02:09.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. VT1720/24
[Envy24PT/HT] PCI Multi-Channel Audio Controller (rev 01)

This is an up to date Fedora 13 system, I'm not on it right now, but
packages installed will be:
alsa-lib-1.0.23-1.fc13.x86_64.rpm
alsa-utils-1.0.23-3.fc13.x86_64.rpm
kernel-2.6.34.7-56.fc13.x86_64.rpm

Using alsa-mixer I can change the inputs to the 8 hardware mixer
channels (only the first two of which I'm using as a stereo setup in
this case). However that simply routes the select input to output
without mixing, i.e. I can listen to line-in on either or both
channels, at the cost of not having PCM output on that channel. What I
want is to monitor the line-in while listening to PCM (from Pulseaudio
as it is, but just any alsa source). After playing around with the
mixer for a while I discovered the playback labelled AC97 appears to
control this, but it's unusual in that it only outputs to the left
channel (the input is a guitar amp, so it's mono, but I'd assumed
plugging a mono amp jack in would give the same sound to both
channels), also it seems to ignore the selected capture source (MIC,
Line-in, Aux and IEC958 are available and only one can be selected for
recording at a time), I haven't tried plugging something into the
microphone input to see if this also gets passed through, but will
when I get the chance. Is there anything else I can try here?

Thanks for your time.
--
imalone