24bit SPDIF right channel white noise

Hi

I am setting up a hi-def audio system. Audio streams are being played
on an Ubuntu fanless server with SPDIF optical out (VIA EPIA EX10000
motherboard) into a DAC.

All works well except the one of the really important bits, namely
high definition (24 bit, 48 & 96kHz) audio is being reproduced accompanied
(overwhelmed) by a loud white noise stream on the right channel. This
white noise sounds vaguely like it might once have been music e.g. it
varies in pitch and intensity and exhibits something akin to rhythm.
The left channel produces clear, albeit quiet, audio. Forcing the
player to 16 bit output eliminates the issue but has a resultant loss
in quality.

I've updated ALSA to the latest I could find (1.0.23) using ppa:ricotz
with no audible change.

All suggestions welcome...

Regards

Chris

--
My employers website: http://thehumanjourney.net - opinions in this
email are however very much my own and may not reflect that of my

Documents attached to this email may be in ISO 26300 format:
http://iso26300.info