Discrepancy in 'amixer' output

Hi there,

I'm programming with mixer controls and I'm wondering if someone could
help me with a discrepancy I have between what the pre-installed (on
Ubuntu 10.04) amixer and a self-compiled amixer program output.

When I run the precompiled amixer and ask it for a list of scontrols,
I get the following output:

$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control 'Headphone',0
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'Front',0
Simple mixer control 'Mic Jack Mode',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Default PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',1
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Simple mixer control 'Mux',0
Simple mixer control 'PC Beep',0

But when I compile it myself (same version - 1.0.22) and run it on the
same machine I only get these:

$ ./amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0

I get the same thing (i.e. only the Master and Capture controls) in
the program I'm writing as well.

Can anyone show me how to get at these other controls - either
programatically, or how amixer might do it so I can copy that? The
only option I'm passing to the configure script is a --prefix, are
there any config flags that might point me in the right direction?

Many thanks,

John G