ALSA virtual surround.

Hello everyone, my first mail here.

I'm having problems with the ALSA surround sound plugins on Gentoo
with alsa-plugins compiled and installed and have the following
content in ~/.asoundrc -

pcm.!default {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "surround51"
}

# upmixing:
pcm.!stereo {
 type route
 slave.pcm "surround51"
 slave.channels 6
 ttable.0.0 1
 ttable.1.1 1
 ttable.0.2 1
 ttable.1.3 1
 ttable.0.4 0.5
 ttable.1.4 0.5
 ttable.0.5 0.5
 ttable.1.5 0.5
}

pcm.!surround51 {
 type plug
 slave.pcm "pcm_in"
 hint {
  show on
  description "Surround51-Device"
 }
}

pcm.pcm_in {
 type route
 slave.pcm "distribute"
 slave.channels 12
 ttable.0.0 1
 ttable.1.1 1
 ttable.2.2 1
 ttable.3.3 1
 ttable.4.4 1
 ttable.5.5 1

 ttable.0.6 1
 ttable.1.7 1
 ttable.2.8 1
 ttable.3.9 1
 ttable.4.10 1
 ttable.5.11 1
}

pcm.distribute {
 type multi
 slaves.a.pcm "process_headphone"
 slaves.a.channels 6
 slaves.b.pcm "speaker"
 slaves.b.channels 6
 bindings.0.slave a
 bindings.0.channel 0
 bindings.1.slave a
 bindings.1.channel 1
 bindings.2.slave a
 bindings.2.channel 2
 bindings.3.slave a
 bindings.3.channel 3
 bindings.4.slave a
 bindings.4.channel 4
 bindings.5.slave a
 bindings.5.channel 5

 bindings.6.slave b
 bindings.6.channel 0
 bindings.7.slave b
 bindings.7.channel 1
 bindings.8.slave b
 bindings.8.channel 2
 bindings.9.slave b
 bindings.9.channel 3
 bindings.10.slave b
 bindings.10.channel 4
 bindings.11.slave b
 bindings.11.channel 5
}

pcm.process_headphone {
 type vdownmix
 slave.pcm "headphone"
}

pcm.headphone {
 type route
 slave {
  pcm "join"
  channels 8
 }
 ttable.0.6 1
 ttable.1.7 1
}

pcm.speaker {
 type route
 slave {
  pcm "join"
  channels 8
 }
 ttable.0.0 1
 ttable.1.1 1
 ttable.2.2 1
 ttable.3.3 1
 ttable.4.4 1
 ttable.5.5 1
}

pcm.join {
 type dmix
 ipc_key 1024
 slave {
  pcm "hw:0,0"
  channels 8
  period_time 0
  buffer_time 0
  period_size 1024
  buffer_size 8192
  #rate 48000
 }
 bindings {
  0 0
  1 1
  2 2
  3 3
  4 4
  5 5
  6 6
  7 7
 }
}

The ALSA service is not running but the sound is ok.

On SMplayer, I get 3 sound device driver -- alsa, alsa (0.0 HDA ATI
SB) and alsa (0.0 HDA ATI SB) out of which the 'alsa' driver does not
work.

Playing HD audio will result in just the front left and right channels
working... nothing else, i.e. I cannot listen to other channels. I
tried changing the channels (2.0, 4 or 6, but nothing happens.

Earlier the alsa driver used to give audio though the left and right
speakers for the back, center etc... speakers also, but now it doesnt
work. Renaming .soundrc also does not work.

I would like to have virtual surround.