Re: Console beep on Lenovo Thinkpad X61S

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Lars Bjørndal wrote:

lars.bjorndal@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Lars Bjørndal) writes:

Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx> writes:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Lars Bjørndal wrote:

Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx> writes:

On Mon, 22 Mar 2010, Lars Bjørndal wrote:

kionez <kionez@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

#include <Jaroslav Kysela.h>   // created 24/02/2010 11:33

It seems that your codec is not properly initialized. Try hda-analyzer
or other tool to set directly HDA codec widgets and try to find which
widget controls the analog beep (assuming you're using beep_mode=0 in
the latest ALSA driver).

i play a little with hda-analyzer and the last kernel (2.6.33-gentoo),
but i can't get the beep working, if i use a kernel > 2.6.29 every
analog beeps disappears (as reported) and i lose the firmware beeps
(i.e.: when the power chord is detached).

is there's something to know about widgets in HDA codec? i try to see if
there's something beep related in every node, but i can't find anything
useful.

What changed between 2.6.29 and 2.6.30 that could break console and
firmware beep? On some other systems, I did need to switch from pcspkr
module and instead load snd-pcsp. This does not help on the Lenovo X61S
machine. Is there other modules to try?

Have you tried beep_mode=0 with recent drivers? Or disable
SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP with previous kernels.

I'm not sure if I do things right: I use kernel
2.6.32.9-70.fc12.i686.PAE. Tried putting the following in

The beep_mode option is not in this kernel. You may compile own kernel
with CONFIG_SND_HDA_INPUT_BEEP disabled or try to compile latest ALSA
snapshot:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Driver_Compilation

I followed the steps, and was able to compile and install the new kernel
modules. I tried beep_mode=0 as well as beep_mode=1, nothing gives me
console beep. Other suggestions?

Replying to myself.

Actually, I got console beep working. I had to do 'rmmod pcspkr', and I
did need to NOT have the line 'options snd-hda-intel beep_mode=0' in the
modprobe config file. The firmware beep, e.g. the beep you get when
removing or inserting the power cable, doesn't work. The real problem
here is that you miss the "low battery" warning beep.

You use the digital beep generated by the snd-hda-intel driver in this configuration. Have you tried beep_mode=0 with reboot? Keep the
pcspkr driver.

						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>