Re: How do i playing 24/96 and 24/192 bit files at native rates and verify that it's happening?

On Fri, 25 Dec 2009 00:39:52 -0700
"Bearcat M. Sandor" <hometheater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> sound card: IntelHD
> alsa version: 2.6.31-r6
> pulseaudio version: 0.9.19
> mpd version: 0.15.5
> disto: gentoo amd64
> Sound file format: Flac
>
> Folks,
>
> What i would like to be able to do is to play music files at their
> native rates. I realize that my sound card's rates begin at 48khz, so
> 44.1khz files may have to be upsampled in any case. That's not
> preferable but that's alright.  However, i'd like to be able to play 96
> khz files and 192 khz files at their respective rates with out resulting
> to upsampling.  If i have to upsample everything to 192khz to avoid
> downsampling files to 48 khz i'll do that but it's not ideal.
>
> So, i'm running an mpd player which feeds into pulse audio which feeds
> into alsa. Do i need to configure all 3 to handle this or should it be
> working "out of the box"?
>
> I've looked around for some sort of display which will tell me at what
> rate the files are being played in but i can't find one and i don't know
> if for instance, mpd is passing them in 96 khz or 192 and pulse is down
> converting, or if mpd and pulse are passing them in 96 khz or 192 and
> alsa is down converting or something.  How can i verify this is working
> when it's set up?  Going by ear may not be reliable.
>
> Am i best off just setting up the system to upconvert to 192k? I think
> that might cause distortion. Right? If so, i'd need set that up in mpd,
> and pulse and alsa right?
>
> Any ideas or pointers would be appreciated. I'll happily give more info
> if wanted.
>
> Thanks a lot,

While playing in my case (Intel "Azalia" type of card) I see this:

"
cat /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params
access: RW_INTERLEAVED
format: S16_LE
subformat: STD
channels: 2
rate: 44100 (44100/1)
period_size: 4096
buffer_size: 131072
OSS format: S16_LE
OSS channels: 2
OSS rate: 44100
OSS period bytes: 16384
OSS periods: 32
OSS period frames: 4096
".

Maybe you too have the 'hw_params' file and can see "rate: 44100 (44100/1)".

Regards,
  Sergei.