no sound, while cards are recognized and modules are present

Dear all,

whenever I switch to Windows for professional reasons, sound is working
ok. However a complete failure when in Debian SID

The system is fairly old: an ASRock K7.. AMD1600 with AC'97 on board. A
logitech quickcam Pro for notebooks is also present in the system

lspci -v:

00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 7012
I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
I/O ports at d800 [size=128]
Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH

lsusb:

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:0991 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro for
Notebooks

cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [U0x46d0x991    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x991
                      USB Device 0x46d:0x991 at
                      usb-0000:00:03.2-4, high speed
1 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
                      SiS SI7012 with CMI9739 at irq 18

the quickcam therefore is card0, the soundcard card1

cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
  1:        : sequencer
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 32: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer
 48: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
 56: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
 57: [ 1- 1]: digital audio capture

If I am not totally wrong, these last two line show Alsa working. However I cannot get any sound output.

First of all, I wand to get sound into the speaker which work flawlessly
with windows xp.

Any help heartfully welcome.

Bernhard

--