Re: no sound, while cards are recognized and modules are present

> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:57:59 +0200
> From: Bernhard Kleine <bernhard.kleine@xxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re:  no sound, while cards are recognized and
> 	modules are present
> To: alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Opening alsamixer shows the default, usb quickcam
> I can change to SI7012 and there all sliders are up. Maybe the problem
> lies how to define default. I have been looking for udev rules, for
> asound.conf entries but to without positive results.
>
> Bernhard
>
> sorry for the missing thread title!
>
> Am Samstag, den 10.10.2009, 09:20 -0700 schrieb Bill Unruh:
> > What does alsamixer show you? Are you sure that all the sliders are
> up?
> >
> > On Sat, 10 Oct 2009, Bernhard Kleine wrote:
> >
> > > Dear all,
> > >
> > > whenever I switch to Windows for professional reasons, sound is
> working
> > > ok. However a complete failure when in Debian SID
> > >
> > > The system is fairly old: an ASRock K7.. AMD1600 with AC'97 on
> board. A
> > > logitech quickcam Pro for notebooks is also present in the system
> > >
> > > lspci -v:
> > >
> > > 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems
> [SiS]
> > > AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
> > > Subsystem: ASRock Incorporation Device 7012
> > > Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 18
> > > I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
> > > I/O ports at d800 [size=128]
> > > Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
> > > Kernel driver in use: Intel ICH
> > >
> > > lsusb:
> > >
> > > Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:0991 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Pro for
> > > Notebooks
> > >
> > > cat /proc/asound/cards
> > > 0 [U0x46d0x991    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x991
> > >                      USB Device 0x46d:0x991 at
> > >                      usb-0000:00:03.2-4, high speed
> > > 1 [SI7012         ]: ICH - SiS SI7012
> > >                      SiS SI7012 with CMI9739 at irq 18
> > >

> > > the quickcam therefore is card0, the soundcard card1
> > >
> > > cat /proc/asound/devices
> > >  0: [ 0]   : control
> > >  1:        : sequencer
> > > 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
> > > 32: [ 1]   : control
> > > 33:        : timer
> > > 48: [ 1- 0]: digital audio playback
> > > 56: [ 1- 0]: digital audio capture
> > > 57: [ 1- 1]: digital audio capture
> > >
> > > If I am not totally wrong, these last two line show Alsa working.
> However I cannot get any sound output.
> > >
> > > First of all, I wand to get sound into the speaker which work
> flawlessly
> > > with windows xp.
> > >
> > > Any help heartfully welcome.
> > >
> > > Bernhard
> > >

> --
> Bernhard Kleine <bernhard.kleine@xxxxxxx>

If you are have pulse audio installed, I highly recommend removing it. On my
new Ubuntu Studio 9.10 beta the only sound I got from my box was a very
nasty subsonic noise while turning off my box, I thought the speakers would
break. I also have 2 sound cards.

http://www.ubuntumini.com/2009/09/fix-most-audio-problems-remove.html . The
magic command is:
sudo apt-get purge pulseaudio

I don't understand why pulse audio is installed by default by all major
distributions. If I wanted a sound server I would install it. I believe that
most users are not using pulse as it was intended. Pulse is just adding
complexity.