Re: can't get alsa 1.0.21 to work with kernel 2.6.31

Giraffe X wrote:
> Giraffe X wrote:
>
>> One more question: i need to uninstall ALSA 1.0.21 because i can't
>> recompile my kernel. Don't have such skills yet. How can i uninstall
>> the driver, lib and utils from the source file? I tried this in the
>> terminal:
>> synghyun@ubuntu:~$ cd alsa-driver*
>> synghyun@ubuntu:~/alsa-driver-1.0.21$ sudo get-remove
>> sudo: get-remove: command not found
>>
>> Since the "command wasn't found," i'm guessing i didn't use the right
>> command.

I built my kernel from the official kernel sources. This meant  that the
only thing I needed to do was to make sure that the old sound-related
kernel modules were deleted from /lib/modules/kernel-2.6.whatever before
I installed the new kernel in order to avoid having the kernel try to
load the wrong modules. Even if you are using Ubuntu sources packaged as
a deb file, you can still build and install them the generic way (make
menuconfig or make gconfig, make, make modules_install, copy and rename
the System.map, bzImage and .config to /boot, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst).
This will certainly be easier if the Debian kernel-building tools are
giving you dependency headaches. It won't actually cause you any
dependency problems because the kernel doesn't usually care which
versions of which libraries it has to deal with.