Re: Crackling and popping on Audigy 2

Are you perchance running the oss emulation? That seems to suffer from
dropouts which might sound like what you are describing.
If you look at the output  in a sound editor, does the crackling an popping
look like a recording glitch ( a sudden discontinuity in the recording) or a
does it look like there is extra noise ( spikes) in the recording?
If the latter it is almost certainly a hardware problem.