No volume bars and controls in alsamixer

Hello

Two weeks ago I did a clean install of Ubuntu 9.04 on my Compaq desktop and have had no audio since then. I have tried various remedies, but none have restored my audio.

I suspect the problem is that many alsamixer functions are set at mute or very low levels. However, when I bring up alsamixer in the terminal it is almost blank. No volume bars or controls of any type appear other than one small box at the bottom, which I can change from mute to 00 with "m" key. Nor do they appear in Gnome alsamixer.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Thanks for your attention.
Paul

Below are the results of aplay -l and lspci -v

aplay -l

 List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

lspci -v

01:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV620 Audio device [Radeon HD 34xx Series]
    Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device aa28
    Memory at fddfc000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>
    Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
    Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel