Re: Do must Linux users just live without sound?

Daren Krive wrote:
> I have been using Ubuntu for about a year now and prior to that I was
> an big Suse fan (it still holds a soft spot in my heart).  Overall I
> am VERY impressed with the quality of open source software.  Ubuntu in
> particular impresses me with it's polished and professional appearance
> right from boot up to shutdown.  However in all the time I have been
> using various flavours of Linux I have never been able to get sound
> working on either of the notebooks that I have been using durring this
> time.

I think you're probably special :-)   I've had sound working on every
machine I've installed for the past, oh, lots of years.  Except virtual
machines that have no audio hardware :-)   And that's a lot of machines.

Try disabling or deleting "special" things you've done to try to get
sound working -- on the three or four machines I installed Ubuntu on
recently I didn't do anything at all to get sound working.   Also try
booting your Ubuntu disk as a live CD/DVD and see if that works, try a
recent Knoppix similarly.  The fact that you seem to have a rather old
Alsa suggests that you've got an old Ubuntu -- download 9.04 (the
latest) and try it as a Live CD/DVD first.

If your soundcard is so different to everyone else's that it doesn't
work that there's no hope, by a cheap USB soundcard that doesn't
require, cough, special Windows drivers and see if that works.  It's
most likely that it will work.

I find that Linux audio support is extremely good.  Admitedly, $DayJob
puts me in a good position for fixing problems, but even so ...

jch