ICE1712 (Delta 1010) sample rate issue

Hi,

I've been on IRC but no solution so I'm trying here.
I've re-installed a Delta 1010 (ice1712) in this machine, and got it working
with jack, which is fine for DAW stuff, but the more simple task of getting music
played through it via alsa eludes me.

I have no .asoundrc at present, my hardware info is at
http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=f0c76123a68f7596dbc339fea5a92b101f70f2cf,
an example error is at http://pastebin.ca/1416214.  Basically it's something
like:
$ alsaplayer -o alsa -d hw:2,0
error on set_format SND_PCM_FORMAT_S16

I've googled the "error on set_format" but no joy.  Every program I try to use
to play music with via hw:2,0 complains about the sample rate in some way.

Also here's my old .asoundrc from when this card was the only audio interface in the system
http://pastebin.ca/1416219 - that .asoundrc isn't in use at the moment
(as i recall, it let me adjust the Delta 1010 volume via alsamixer - I don't
really understand it, I was helped to build it on IRC).

I've also tried jaroslev's .asoundrc from
http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Dmix#7._Dmixing_the_ICE1712_chip,
but get the same error.  Any clues appreciated.

--
Antony