Re: question about ice1712

Hi!
   I never used virtualbox or whatever. I guess it is seem kind of virtual
machine like vmware?
   I can help you with mplayer a bit though. It's running on my system and it
works just fine. Nowadays I like to have an easy life though and I use JACK.
   But in the old days I just did this:
mplayer -ao asa,default file.whatever
   Worked wonderfully. OK I'm a bit left behind, I'm still using Linux 2.6.23.
You might try the following: Take an example from alsawiki, that uses a simple
plug PCM device. Might look like this:
pcm.my_dev {
   type plug
   slave { pcm "hw:0" }
}
   And I found setting the mixer correctly a problem, when I started using my
card. I always use alsamixer, which is the ncurses (interactive textbased)
variant. I set the IEC958 items both to PCM out, then made sure to setup all
volume controls, set the sample clock and all the syncing stuff connected to
it to one rate (48000Hz for me, 44100Hz is fine, it's CD quality).
   Then you might want to create a device in .asoundrc, that gives just two INs
and two OUTs.
   You can also tell ALSA to use JACK for audio I/O. With that you can easily
have a device which has only 2INs and 2OUTs.
   I did this. It looks like that:
pcm.myjack
{
   type jack
   palyback_ports
   {
     0 system:playback_1
     1 system:playback_2
   }
   capture_ports
   {
     0 system:capture_1
     1 system:capture_2
   }
}

pcm.!default
{
   type plug
   slave
   {
     pcm "myjack"
   }
}

   You can see ALSa starts counting at 0 and jack starts at 1. If you don't
want your two XLR microphone inputs, but a pair of the simple chinc inputs
then just exchange system:capture_1 and 2 to 3 and 4.
   It works with mplayer. So if your mplayer has no JACK support, no problem.
You could just use this way around.
   Give it a try, perhaps even VirtualBox takes it easy with that solution. I
think it's possible.
   Kindest regards
         Julien

--------