Doc for asound.conf?

By trial and error I managed to get a minimal asound.conf that directs
audio to the HDMI device on my MB. I'm a complete novice on this, but
my needs are minimal: play mp2 files grabbed from OTA HD by a
HDHomeRun.

Generally this works fine. However, occasionally the audio is a few
seconds ahead of the video, so I'm looking for places I might have
screwed up.

Can someone point me to a tutorial for asound.conf?

Thanks