Re: Creative X-Fi or snd-sbxfi driver help?

On Sunday 18 January 2009 19:24:16 Bill Unruh wrote:
> >> Well, its not loaded according to lsmod.
> >> sudo modprobe ctxfi returned
> >
> > I presume you did the depmiod step before this?
>
> And why would he want to do that?

 Linux kernel modules can provide services (called "symbols")
 for other modules to use (using EXPORT_SYMBOL in the code).
 If a second module uses this symbol, that second module clearly
 depends on the first module. These dependencies can get quite
 complex.

 depmod creates a list of module dependencies, by reading each
 module under /lib/modules/version and determining what symbols
 it exports, and what symbols it needs. By default this list
 is written to modules.dep in the same directory. If filenames
 are given on the command line, only those modules are examined
 (which is rarely useful, unless all modules are listed).

--markc