Fwd: hda-intel nvhdmi codec not working ... wait no, it is > working!

Gah, forgot to CC the list, sorry for the dup.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Darren Hart <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 3:16 PM
Subject: Re:  hda-intel nvhdmi codec not working ... wait
no, it is > working!
To: Mike Z <zimcomm@xxxxxxxxxxx>

On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Mike Z <zimcomm@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I have the very same machine (Acer X1200).
>
> I get sound by
>
> sudo aptitude -y install build-essential libncurses-dev gettext xmlto
> xmltoman linux-headers-`uname -r`
>
> sudo mkdir -p /usr/src/alsa
> cd /usr/src/alsa
> sudo wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/driver/alsa-driver-1.0.18a.tar.bz2
> sudo wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/lib/alsa-lib-1.0.18.tar.bz2
> sudo wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/utils/alsa-utils-1.0.18.tar.bz2
> sudo wget ftp://ftp.alsa-project.org/pub/plugins/alsa-plugins-1.0.18.tar.bz2
>
> sudo tar xjf alsa-driver*.bz2
> sudo tar xjf alsa-lib*.tar.bz2
> sudo tar xjf alsa-utils*.tar.bz2
> sudo tar xjf alsa-plugins*.tar.bz2
>
> cd alsa-driver*
> sudo ./configure --with-cards=all --with-card-options=all

Interesting that the "all" options work for you.  I wonder why
enabling all the options breaks sound entirely on my system.  Huh.

I have actually built .deb packages for all of these from the Debian
experimental sources.  I'd like to make these available on an Ubuntu
PPA, but there a few issues to resolve first:

o I'd like the --with-card-options=all to work to be as generally
applicable as possible for multiple people
o There is one bug in the generated /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base (simple typo)
o There is some conflict with the ubuntu 32 bit library location
(apparently Ubuntu bundles all the 32 bit libs in a single package?
not alsa specific... very strange)

If I can sort through that - or get some tips on it (I'm no package
maintainer) I'd be happy to post the packages to make this a little
less painful for others.

> sudo make
> sudo make install
> cd ../alsa-lib*
> sudo ./configure
> sudo make
> sudo make install
> cd ../alsa-utils*
> sudo ./configure
> sudo make
> sudo make install
> cd ../alsa-plugins*
> sudo ./configure
> sudo make
> sudo make install
>
> sudo reboot
> cat /proc/asound/devices
> aplay -l  # will see device 0,3
>
> sudo alsamixer  # unmute the IE958 entry
> sudo alsactl store 0
>
> #must do this as sudo... doesn't work yet as a paste..
> cat > /etc/asound.conf << DELIM
> defaults.pcm.device 3
> DELIM
>
> Note, I never see any indication of HDMI with aplay -L, only with aplay -l
>
> At that point, I can get sound by the Pref-Sound panel, switching everything
> to nVidia HDMI.
>
> Also note that you appear to need 177.80 to get any sound, and 177.82 if you
> want 5.1.

I am using 177.80.  According the hda-intel and patch_nvidia source in
alsa, it only supports 2 CH PCM at 44kHz (maybe it was 48, I'm not
sure).  However, I am able to pass AC3 directly across the HDMI and my
AVR decodes the Dolby Digital 5.1 channel signal from DVDs and ATSC
streams just fine.

--
Darren Hart

--