Re: echo Gina3G and spdif

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:43:51 +0100
Conrad Berhörster <conrad.berhoerster@xxxxxx> wrote:

> does anybody know, how to obtain the spdif channels by ALSA on the gina3G.
> the echomixer shows me, that there is comming data. But JACK only shows 2
> incoming channels, which are the analog channels.

S/PDIF has two channels only. You can use 8 digital channels by switching
to ADAT and starting jack as follows:

jackd -v -d alsa -d plughw:0,1 -i8 -o8

I don't know why jackd sees only 2 channels if you don't specify -i and -o.
I just tested this config by sending audio data to the last two channels
and jackrec captures it.

> The amixer output shows 130 output (why that much?)

Actually, 140 (10 inputs * 14 outputs). They are the monitor mixer knobs
(each input can be routed to any output with a different volume). They
cannot be used by jack yet.

> A look into the ALSA code shows me, that there is a DIGITAL Mode implemented,
> and the professional_spdif function seems to set the SPDIF value on true.

Digital mode can be either S/PDIF coaxial cable or S/PDIF optical or ADAT
optical. The Gina3G supports S/PDIF with 2 channels at 32KHz to 96KHz and
ADAT with 8 channels at max 48KHz.
The professional_spdif switch changes something in the protocol, but I
never had to change it. Unless you have some equipment that need a specific
setting, you can just ignore it.

--
Giuliano.