Re: Digital bit perfect ouptut with ALSA

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 14:07:49 -0700
stan <ghjeold_i_mwee@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> The long and short of it is that alsa is as bit perfect as
> you ask it to be and as the device and digitial input it is
> using is.  The method I outlined above, or close facsimile
> thereof, should be able to prove it to your satisfaction.

Well, yes and no.

Thew "no" part is that when you have two applications requesting different
sample rates, only one of them will win - I guess the one which has started
earlier.

That is, if someone has a, say, WEB browser playing music with 48kHz sample
rate, and wants at the same time to play an audio CD with 44.1kHz sample rate,
this is not possible.

As I said many times, I would like to have in ALSA a possibility to mandate
sample rate, so those applications which do not agree will have to live with
resampling.

If, however, only one application tries to access an audio playback device,
there is no problem, i.e. the application is free to choose any HW supported
sample rate.

Regards,
  Sergei.