Re: Digital bit perfect ouptut with ALSA

Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> I'm trying to get bit perfect output out of my linux box, but I can't
> find much
> info on the web. I'm using ALSA.
>

> Some questions:
>

> - does Linux/ALSA features dynamic sample rates?
yes.  You can specify whatever rate you want and it will
happen.  eg 57,325 frames/second.
> - is it possible to set the bit-depth? (in my case to 24 bit)
yes, but your card has to support it.  Most new cards have
internal processing larger than 24 bits
> - what other variables do i have to consider in order to get bit
> transparent ouput,
> i.e., no resampling at all?
Use only hardware rates supported by your card.  You can
ensure this by using plughw as your device instead of
default.  That converts from the audio application sound
format to the sound card internal format, but does no
resampling.  You can avoid even the conversion if you make
sure the audio is in the format that your sound device uses
internally.
> - is it possible to check if ouput is bit-perfect?
Where do you want to check.  It will be difficult to check
internally to the card.  And unless you are outputting to
digital and can capture the output from the sound device,
you won't be able to tell.

 From alsa-lib to the driver you should be able to check by
modifying the library call for your particular card to
include some sort of save or monitor, but that is probably
redundant.

It sounds like you should be looking at the alsa-lib API at
http://www.alsa-project.org