Re: Digital bit perfect ouptut with ALSA

On Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:36:02 +0100
Florian Faber <faber@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paulo,
>
> > I would like that all the resampling is made by the DAC because I can trust
> > on its quality.
>
> Bwahahahahaaaaa!
>

> Flo

For example, here: http://www.futurlec.com/ICSFOthers.shtml one can see
that DACs are $2.40 .. $2.90 while
"CS8412 Digital Audio Interface Receiver IC" is $18.90 - I'm wondering
which consumer electronics manufacturer would decide to use such an
expensive part.

Anyway, clicking on http://www.futurlec.com/Others/CS8412.shtml and
reading the PDF file, one can see on page 5:

"
6) Q: How do I determine the delay through sample rate converter ?
a:    The group delay (tgd) through the SRC is 41/Fsi + 43/Fso
"

- so these are the two real indicators of sample rate conversion quality.

Actually, I think the first item: 41/Fsi.

This is because these numbers reflect the well known sync interpolation
implementation and reflect its precision, i.e. sample rate
conversion quality.

In software one can choose these parameters him/herself, so even better
quality (if desired) can be achieved.

The rest is wishful thinking.

Regards,
  Sergei.