Problem with 2.6.26 and alsa 1.0.18

Hello list!

I am running Debian unstable, with kernel 2.6.26-1-amd64. About 5 days ago, My sound failed completely. I was getting a message from programs like amarok and kaffeine that hinted at driver issues, and I thought my old SB Audigy card died. I ordered a new SB Audigy SE card, and followed the instructions on this page for building the module, which went smoothly - http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-ca0106

alsaconf works without issue, seeing both the new audigy card and the built in mobo card. I select the audigy card, but then hit the snag -

sudo alsamixer
alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such device

Google had a few hits for this, but nothing very recent. Somebody mentioned it as a possible bug in ubuntu 2.6.25, but claimed upgrading to 2.6.26 solved it. Things worked fine on my previous kernel, 2.6.24, but this problem wasn't corrected but upgrading to 2.6.26 for my Debian box.

Here is the output of alsa-info.sh -
Your ALSA information is located at http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=bb518002c235027d4798877a72d2f15e4104b15b

Please let me know what I should do to get functional sound via alsa again!