Re: snd_hda_intel model as a parameter to the kernel when built-in driver

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 22:01:42 Bill Unruh wrote:> On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Claudio M. Camacho wrote:> > Hello,> >> > Today I have managed to configure my Sony Vaio using the snd_hda_intel> > model=sony-assamd parameter in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.> >> > However, if I want to be able to use this model selection, the Intel HDA> > driver has to be compiled as a module.> >> > Do you know if there is any way of building the driver included in the> > kernel and telling the hda model in the kernel parameters line at boot> > time? I use Debian and I don't like to have modules in the kernel, since> > I use audio all the time.> >> > Thank you in advance and congratulations for the list.>> ?? the hda driver is almost always a module not compiled into the kernel.> If someone compiles it into the kernel, they are saying that they never> ever want to change it. That is what modules are for. I doubt strongly that> you have it compiled into your kernel. I suspect strongly that it is a> module.> lsmod> lists all of the modules you have loaded.>> For a module, yes you can replace the module.> (in alsa-drivers, just do make install)
This is from http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/gregkh/lkn/lkn_pdf/ch09.pdf . No guarantees as to whether it will (still) work, but it's worth a try, I guess:
----------------Module-Specific OptionsIn addition to the options listed in this chapter, parameters for modules that arebuilt in to the kernel can also be passed on the command line. (Dynamicallyloaded modules, of course, are not in memory when the kernel boots and there-fore cannot be passed as parameters at boot time.) The syntax for passingparameters consists of the module name followed by a dot ( . ) and the parameter
For example, the usbcore module accepts the parameter blinkenlights to displayflashing lights on all supported USB 2.0 hubs (don’t ever say the kernel devel-opers don’t have a sense of humor). To set this parameter when loading themodule dynamically, you would enter:$ modprobe usbcore blinkenlights=1But if the usbcore module is built into the kernel, you achieve the same effect byinvoking the kernel with the following option:usbcore.blinkenlights=1Most module options for modules that are built into the kernel can also bechanged at runtime by writing to files in the subdirectory named after the moduleunder the /sys/module directory. Thus, the blinkenlights option is represented bythe file /sys/module/usbcore/blinkenlights.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Moblin Your Move Developer's challengeBuild the coolest Linux based applications with Moblin SDK & win great prizesGrand prize is a trip for two to an Open Source event anywhere in the worldhttp://moblin-contest.org/redirect.php?banner_id=100&url=/_______________________________________________Alsa-user mailing listAlsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/alsa-user