Re: snd_hda_intel model as a parameter to the kernel when built-in driver

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Claudio M. Camacho wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Today I have managed to configure my Sony Vaio using the snd_hda_intel
> model=sony-assamd parameter in /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.
>
> However, if I want to be able to use this model selection, the Intel HDA
> driver has to be compiled as a module.
>
> Do you know if there is any way of building the driver included in the
> kernel and telling the hda model in the kernel parameters line at boot
> time? I use Debian and I don't like to have modules in the kernel, since
> I use audio all the time.
>
> Thank you in advance and congratulations for the list.

?? the hda driver is almost always a module not compiled into the kernel.
If someone compiles it into the kernel, they are saying that they never
ever want to change it. That is what modules are for. I doubt strongly that
you have it compiled into your kernel. I suspect strongly that it is a
module.
lsmod
lists all of the modules you have loaded.

For a module, yes you can replace the module.
(in alsa-drivers, just do make install)