Compile kernel loses ALSA drivers

Compiling a custom kernel loses the ALSA drivers.

I have spent 10 months without sound ( VIA8237 ) on my machine because ALSA
would not work.
I have discovered while working on another machine that compiling and
installing a new version of your compiler
will wipe out your ALSA drivers.  That is not something that would be
obvious nor expected.

The documentation should definitely warn in INSTALL,  such as >>>

Compile and install ALSA drivers after customizing your kernel.  Install of
kernel modules will wipe out your
ALSA driver modules as it seems to clean the entire kernel modules directory
of everything.
If you change a kernel config and reinstall your kernel modules, you will
have to reinstall ALSA again
afterwards!

If anyone knows otherwise on this, please post a reply.

Wesley Johnson

--- Get FREE High Speed Internet from USFamily.Net! -- http://www.usfamily.net/mkt-freepromo.html ---